Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Best Logo

This is just a dumb side-commentary, just me thinking about what teams I feel like I should invest most of my time, and I'm judging right now on the most shallow criteria possible:

Looks.

I mentioned in an earlier blog where aesthetics are key, so its important. So, my choices for best logos from each division.

Atlantic: Lehigh Valley Phantoms.

Fair use
This is kinda a hard one bt the Phantom being the Flyer logo twice was a nice touch. But then again, the competition was a jacked up/drugged out penguin, a decent entry with the Falcons logo, a cat and a dog that don't look distinct enough from eachother, a classy bear, an overly complicated pirate and less effective retread of the Bruins logo.

North: Syracuse Crunch

Fair Use
This one was a little bit easier. There were some very classy ones such as the Rochester Americans which evokes patriotism and reminds me of Captain America. The Utica Comets is distinct and reminiscent of an actual NHL logo in many ways, and the Albany Devils retread is kinda cool in how it works out, almost better that the NHL devils logo. As for the rest, IceCaps are just meh, the Senators are kinda scary looking, and the Toronto Marlies are like the Bruins in that they aren't a fun retread of the NHL logo. Syracuse Crunch however is just a neat superhero design that brings me back to my days as a kid reading Silver Surfer. And since as a kid I didn't read Captain America, the Silver Surfer design is closer to my heart.

Central: Iowa Wild
Fair use: Public Domain

Ugh, I so want this one to be a tie. The Charlotte checkers logo is so nice in how it evokes a real top-grade team feel. Its the sort of logo that can really go on a hat. Simple but distinct. But that said the Wild Logo is just classy. It has that warm, rustic feel to it that makes me feel at home. It is just a great example of how the NHL logo works well with the AHL logo. Plus compared to Insanity Wolf Meme (whom WILL eat your children), angry moose (whom will also eat your children, albietly more slow), the lake monster whom will eat your children provided they go swimming, your friendly cartoon skull and cross-bones adamant on feeding your children poison, and finally biker pig and generic griffin whom probably won't hurt your children, but will probably be dicks to them none-the-less, the wild logo is just pretty and non-threatening. I could look at it all day.

 You have two fantastic standouts among a sea of duds. I don't want to have to choose. Screw it. It's a tie.

Fair use
Pacific: San Diego Gulls

Fair Use

This was perhaps the easiest of them all. Attitude Barracuda, is just a 90s video game reject I feel, Rampage is classy but lacks flair, Condors is too complicated, Heat and Ontario retreads suck, and while the Stars retread works, it isn't enough to overcome the originality of the Gulls logo. It feels like its out of a Mighty Ducks movie, which brings the AHL back to a more kid friendly state of mind. At least one infinitely more kid friendly than the Central division.

No comments:

Post a Comment