Tuesday, September 15, 2015

S.O.S. AHL Schedule: Support

I have four think pieces lined up for basically the things that need to happen for the AHL to save its scheduling issues and help. The first I'm going to tackle is the Support the NHL offers the AHL teams. Admittedly, I am not an insider, I am working on a lot of assumptions here so I will gladly be wrong about these opinions, but its just thoughts I'm throwing out in the little free time I have.

The biggest of my assumptions is how controlled the AHL teams are by big brother. I feel like there are aspects of control, but its clear, to a point, they are left to their own. They deal with their schedule, have to figure out how to make the money, and have to work within the restrictions of the NHL to do so. So that's fine.

Where I am more hazy is the financial support the NHL provides, particularly in regards to supplemental  budget. Do the AHL teams have their own budget? Certain players are signed to 1-way contracts that only leave them attached to an AHL team, I think? The relationship as a whole is an easy one to understand, but as a business strategy, the video I talked about in this blog makes it seem more complicated than, maybe a pool of funds.

So, there are two scenarios to consider. The first is that its all one pool, in which case, the NHL affiliate can offer more to help alleviate costs related to travel. This is ideal in the sense that then, the restrictions that the affiliate team can better mimic the professional hockey season, and also send teams further with the expectation that greater competition at one level will increase revenue at that level, and then increase revenue at the other levels.

However, the AHL is considered a separate entity. They have their own league offices and restrictions. That makes me think, part of the AHL teams success might be driven by the teams themselves. If that's the case then the AHL would be all by itself and that might make it more difficult.

I don't get that is entirely the sense, but if it were, than the NHL should be providing a level of financial assistance that would help offset travel costs. Whatever the case can be, it could be more. While the AHL may not be as bankable (and certainly could sell itself better), further financial assistance, and saturation of hockey beyond the national TV level, could go a long, long way in Hockey's success for the future, not just because of the monetary value.

The final point that I think needs to be made, and I've already have half-way made it is that the NHL should be taking a greater hand helping to plan and and organize this schedule. It should be balanced, it should be driving competition, and should be driving rivalries. That is something the NHL in particular has excelled at. I laugh when I look at rivalries in other sports. I may hate another team, but those teams are limited to those I hate in the NHL as a Bruins fan, and also to the extent of how much I hate them. Granted, that has a lot to do with how the teams play each other, but the fervor can only carry so far, and balancing that can help sustain a rivalry.

To a certain extent, the AHL should be free to dictate how it runs its business, but at a certain point the NHL should want to help guide the AHL through financial support and direction to help make its products better.

No comments:

Post a Comment