Monday, August 31, 2015

2015-16 schedule

On August 27th, the new schedule was released.

First impressions: yeah, its a schedule.

Some things to be aware of is the new divisions and how they seem to work out. They do have games every day of the week with the lions share will be on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. No Monday games until December, so if that's your day off for the week, it might be harder to get to a game. Also, the new divisions don't seem like as much of a factor. I did an in depth look at the Falcons schedule and see that they face Hershey four times vs Providence fourteen times vs non-divisional rival the Albany Devils six times, and Hartford Eight times, and some eastern conference team no times.

I don't think its in the best interest of the league to have a team playing a non-divisional opponent more than a divisional one. I understand that there's travel times and expenses that have to be moderated, but the beauty of divisions is the rivalry that builds in the hunt for play-off spots. I want to be able to see those teams go at it more because I want to believe that they have to hate each other more. They're competing for the same glory and are in larger competition for the same spots in the play-offs.

Some that is probably coming from the understanding of how NFL scheduling works, and not necessarily AHL scheduling, but fanaticism is driven by common enemies. In the NFL you know the teams you have to hate. The AHL, I have an idea of whom they may want me to hate, but are Falcons fans really supposed to hate Providence six game more than Hartford? Or Syracuse as much as Hershey? Divisions would be a great idea if the AHL just used them properly.

In later blogs I'll get more in depth with teams and dates a casual fan might want to target for the best or at least most interesting action. They will all be rendered moot probably by mid season when the thugs and contenders are more clear. I know I'll be going to the first game for the Falcons on Oct. 10. Probably the only time I'll get to see Hershey in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment